Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Shepherd's Pie!

I know many people make Shepherd's Pie in tons of different ways, but here's the method I've adopted!

Whenever I make ground beef, I always make a lot and usually freeze some of it to save for a quick and easy meal.  I make my ground beef the way my mom makes it (sort of like a sloppy joe).  We grate an onion in a pot, add the ground beef to it, season it with some salt, pepper, and cumin (and a sprinkle of allspice), add a little chicken bouillon cube to it, and then add a whole can of crushed tomatoes to the mix.  I stir that up and let it simmer for a while and add a can of tomato paste and sometimes a little brown sugar.  I let that simmer again for another 15 minutes or so and then use this ground beef mix for a few different recipes!  I use it in my Macarona bel Bechamel (see previous post), put it over some spaghetti, eat it with some pita bread, and use it in my Shepherd's Pie!

I make my Shepherd's pie by boiling some potatoes and then peeling them and mashing them.  I add a stick of butter, some milk, salt, and pepper and mash them all together to get a mashed potato mix.  I use half of the mix for the bottom of my pan, spread a little cheddar cheese over it, add a layer of frozen mixed veggies, a layer of the ground beef above, and then top it off with the remainder of the mashed potato mix.  I use a fork to mar the top and then top it with a little more cheddar cheese and pop it in the oven for about a half an hour.

We buy an AMAZING white cheddar from Costco that our family just LOVES. It's the Kerrigold Dubliner Cheddar (for Caribbean folks - it tastes just as good as the New Zealand cheddar you may get back home!!!).  My daughter LOVES this cheese and we love to eat it with some Crix as a midnight snack :)

Here's the Sheperd's Pie:

Completed pie!

This is what the pie looked like out of the oven!

I like to broil the top a little before taking it out of the oven


Here's the cheese!!!

Top layer forked

Spreading the top layer over the ground beef

Adding the frozen mixed veggies

Layer of shredded cheddar

Mashing the potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment