Thursday, September 1, 2016

Green Seasoning

I've talked briefly about my "green seasoning" in a previous post, but since I decided to make some this morning, I thought I'd share my process!  Publix had chicken breast and chicken thigh on sale this week for their buy one get one free sales and so I bought two of each and needed to season them!  One of the best pieces of advice I can give to anyone who is too busy to season (hello....2 kids under the age of 3!!!!!), is to buy good meat, clean it and season it right away, and put it in the freezer!  I, personally, have been doing this for years (even pre-children).  It makes life sooooo much easier.  You just take down the meat you want to cook that morning and when you come home, it's thawed and seasoned and all you have to do is cook it!

Green seasoning is another Caribbean staple that I've learned along the way.  It's basically a mix of green herbs, onions, and garlic blended together to make a paste that you can season all of your meat with!  When I lived in NYC, I used to just buy a large bottle of this stuff (pre-made) from my local West Indian grocery store and just pour it over my meat to season it.  Now that I have my own herb garden and try to make food as fresh as possible, I make my own.  There are tons of recipes on how to do this and what ingredients to add - but you should add more of what you like and less of what you don't like I think :)

In my green seasoning, I like to use things from my garden: chives, green onion, thyme, parsley, and cilantro.  If we happen to go to the Flea market and have some culantro (Shadon Beni), I put that in, otherwise, the cilantro is just fine.  I also add an onion, some garlic, a small piece of ginger, and a squeeze of lemon.  I like to also put in my own spices and tend to add in salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.  I drizzle some olive oil over the top and put it all in the blender.  A few years ago, we invested in one of those Vitamix blenders, so that's what I use for almost all of my blending!

Here's a look at my green seasoning:
Fresh herbs, onions, and garlic in the blender
All blended up

Seasoning over cleaned chicken
Seasoning massaged in


My two freezer bags of meat, labeled and ready for the next time I want to cook chicken






No comments:

Post a Comment