Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Smells like fall!

Every year around this time when I was living in NYC, I would go apple picking with my good friends the Lee Sams!  This year, I happened to visit NYC a week after they went apple picking and was able to bring back some freshly picked apples to make apple crumble with!  This used to be an annual baking day (or days sometimes) with my good friend Celine!  She would make all kinds of pies and crumble using the freshly picked apples and I would be her "helper"!  LOL!  I would always bring some of these apples into my classroom and have my kids make apple crumble because it's SOOOOOOO easy to make! I highly recommend making this simple and delicious recipe at home with your kiddos!

Here's Celine's recipe:

Ingredients:
4-5 peeled and cubed apples
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 tsp cinnamon (I like to put more in mine!!!)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup melted butter

Directions:

1. Place apples in a greased 9x9inch baking dish
2.  Sprinkle a small about of cinnamon and nutmeg on top and rub into the apple cubes
3.  Blend together the remaining ingredients without the butter at first and then add the butter and mix together
4.  Crumble handfulls of the oatmeal mix over the apples
5.  Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes (or until the topping is golden brown)

We LOVE to eat this warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!

Here's how mine turned out:







Oats mixed with other ingredients

Spices rubbed into cubed apples

Peeled and cubed apples

The ingredients

If you don't have one of these apple corer/cutters - get one!  They're amazing!!!  I had 6 of them in my classroom and would have my kiddos do all of the cutting of the apples!

Peeled apples

No comments:

Post a Comment